Probate Complaints & Redress

  1. We are committed to providing you with a high-quality service that is both efficient and effective. However, should there be any cause for complaint in relation to any aspect of our service you should take up your concerns with the individual that the complaint relates. Should you wish to make a formal complaint you will need to follow the complaints procedure as detailed.
  2. All complaints should be made in writing with details of why you are dissatisfied. This can be via electronic means. Where a complaint has been made orally, we will acknowledge in writing our understanding of the complaint for your agreement.
  3. Complaints should be sent to John Dovey:
  4. E-mail:
  5. Post: Heyford Park House, Heyford Park, Upper Heyford, Bicester, Oxon OX25 5HD     
  6. All complaints will be acknowledged within 2 working days of receipt. We will act promptly and investigate in a fair, constructive and honest manner.
  7. Complaints are investigated by a person of sufficient experience, seniority, and competence who, where possible, was not directly involved in the particular act or omission giving rise to the complaint.
  8. We agree to investigate any complaint carefully and promptly and do everything reasonable to try and resolve it. We will maintain records of our investigation.
  9. Within 8 weeks you will receive our final written response to your complaint.

Legal Ombudsman

If after receiving our final written response to your complaint you feel we have not resolved your complaint to your satisfaction or we have failed to provide you with a final written response to your complaint within eight weeks of you submitting your complaint, you can refer your complaint the Legal Ombudsmen who will independently look at your complaint. Details on how to make a complaint can be found here: Make A Complaint | Legal Ombudsman

The legal ombudsman investigates problems about poor service relating to the provision of legal services by authorised persons such as CILEX Practitioner (ACCA-Probate).

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:

  • Within six months of receiving a final response to your complaint and
  • No more than six years from the date of act/omission; or
  • No more than three years from when you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint.

However from the 1st April 2023 you must make your complaint to the legal ombudsman no later than: 

  • One year from the date of the act or omission being complained about; or
  • One year from the date when the complainant should have realised that there was cause for complaint.

LeO will have discretion to accept out of time complaints where it determines that it is “fair and reasonable to do so”. 

If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman, please contact them:

Contact details:


Call 03005550333 between 9am to 5pm.


Post: Legal Ombudsman, PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ

Alternative Dispute Resolution

Should your complaint relate to the misconduct of a CILEX practitioner (ACCA-Probate), you can refer your complaint free of charge to CILEx regulation for them to investigate.

Misconduct complaints must be made within 12 months of the act or omission that gave rise to the complaint or within 12 months of the complainant having knowledge of the act or omission that gave rise to the complaint, whichever is greater. You can contact CILEx Regulation at Room 301, Endeavour House, Wrest Park, Silsoe, Bedford MK45 4HS. Telephone: 01234 845770. Email:

Details on how to make a complaint can be found here Complaints Procedures and Guidance – CILEx Regulation.

Alternative Dispute Resolution bodies such as the ACCA Email: , website: , telephones: 0207 059 5000 exist which are competent to deal with complaints about legal services should you and our firm wish to use such an ADR body. We agree to use the ACCA all complaints must be referred within 12 months from the date of the complaint and our internal complaints procedure has come to an end without satisfactory resolution.